The CTW and G Story

About a month ago, reader Caitlin asked me to write a post about how G and I met.  And because I do just about anything anyone suggests, here goes!

If you ask my sister, she’ll tell you that I stalked G until he asked me out…and that’s what she told everyone at our wedding, during her maid of honor speech.  Thanks Em.

CRW_4070

But here’s what really happened.  I was 23, living in Burbank, California and in my second year of law school.  I lived in a converted garage that I called a guest house.  I actually liked it a lot.  It was a studio with a kitchen and bathroom.  Hot as hell about 7 months of the year, but otherwise, it was good.  I lived really close to IKEA, shopping centers and a few grocery stores.

I first saw G when I went to the grocery store on my way home from the gym.  I looked like a cross between these pictures:

DSC02371

(That picture was taken a few weeks after we started dating…see those satin pillow cases in the background?  Those are G’s.)

DSC05389

DSC01970

But I looked even more horrible because this was back in the day when I dressed more like a boy than a girl when I worked out.  I would wear huge, baggy shorts and a big t-shirt because really, I’d rather have everyone think I’m built like a huge brick than have any sort of curves.

So I was at the store and the cashier that rang me up was G!  He works for a national grocery store chain and was a supervisor at the time.  I didn’t pay him any attention at all…kind of like now.  Anyway, he asked me if I worked out.  I was like “uh, yeah”.  And HE KEPT ASKING ME QUESTIONS.  “Where do you work out?  What do you do when you work out?” and on and on.  He was still talking to me when he started helping the next customer.  And that was when I decided I had a “boyfriend” at the grocery store.  Have you ever done that?  Had guys/girls you call boyfriends/girlfriends, but you don’t really know them?  I did/do this all the time.  And pretended to have boyfriends everywhere.  Yes, I’m cool like that.

To test my “boyfriend at the grocery store” theory, I started to go there a lot.  And every time I went to the store when G was working, he came up to talk to me.  Of course I loved the attention (I am a middle child after all).  I didn’t know if he liked me, but it gave me something to do when I was bored.  Unfortunately, I was bored a lot.  And I probably looked like a psycho.  Once, I didn’t have anything to buy, and ended up buying packing tape.  What an idiot.

After about a week, though, G asked me out.  It was kind of funny the way it happened.  I bought a few things, maybe a bag or two worth of stuff, when G came up to ask if I wanted my bags carried out.  Me: “uh, no, I’m pretty sure I can get those”, but G didn’t listen and just grabbed the bags and walked me out to my car…in the rain.  I didn’t know it at the time, but for G to go outside in the rain without a hat is a huge deal.  I’m surprised he didn’t start crying.  When we got to my car he asked me if I wanted to go out to dinner or something.  I can’t quite remember.

Luckily for him (or maybe unlucky depending on how you look at it) I’ve never said no to a date.  I know, I’m so slutty.  But actually, I’ve only been on 5 first dates my whole life (isn’t that embarrassing?).  After we exchanged numbers that night, he called to tell me he was really f*cking old.  And that was hilarious.

_MG_3928

To make a long story short, we met at the grocery store and G fell madly in love with me.

Where did you meet your spouse/significant other?

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Trophy Husband and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to The CTW and G Story

1. Jamie says:

I LOVE this post. I remember you telling me all about him back in the day. Who knew… but I am so glad it happened. 🙂

I think it even forced you to work out more so you had more of an excuse to go shopping.

2. kelsey says:

I love this. My mother used to try and get me to go to the grocery store to meet guys. apparently it works sometimes.

Now you have to share the proposal story!

3. Caitlin says:

Yay!!! Thanks for sharing! You guys are so cute. Yup, still obsessed.

4. Heidi says:

I love this story! Thanks for sharing 🙂

5. Kathleen says:

“I met him at the grocery store.” Love that!
    You two are the greatest, and all the delicious food you eat =)
    Greatest blog ever!

6. Kat M. says:

I freaking LOVE “how I met stories”. My husband myspace stalked me. He read my profile and found out we both hated sushi and loved pancakes. We talked online for 6 months then went out on the worst first date ever but still moved in together 3 weeks later. SEE? pancakes bring people together. Better than my grandparents story. My grandpa accidentally dropped a tree on my grandma’s brother. That’s how they got to know each other.

7. Love it!

I live in Burbank…in a studio guest house that is a converted garage. And, my Manfriend and I are 14 years apart 🙂

We met working on a feature film 2 years ago, people like to call it a “showmance.”

8. Alli C. says:

Tyler and I met while both teaching at the same high school (yes, where we still work) and then desperately trying to hide the fact that we were dating from our students, who still totally knew. “Miss Young, I saw you and Mr. Crane at Safeway yesterday!” followed by snickering and whispering. For a year. Then we got engaged and the cat was out of the bag.

Love your story. I also believe in saying yes to every date request – you never know! Although now I turn down most of my frequent date requests. You know, that whole married thing. 🙂

9. RicoleRuns says:

That was freakin adorable, I love it! Very cute. Ummm, I’ve been on like no first dates so I do NOT think you’re weird. I suppose it’s 1. In high school You don’t really go on first dates it seems!

10. Tracey says:

Love this story! Did you freak out when he told you how much older he was? Just wondering cuz I met my hubby at a concert at The Gorge amphitheater and when he told me his age (26 at the time) I lied about my age because I’m 10 years older than him and didn’t want him to freak out. Needless to say when it was a few months down the road and we were getting serious I decided to come clean. Then it was almost harder because not only did I have to divulge my true age but also the fact that I had lied to him…but by then I had him hooked. LOL!

11. Hubbie says:

Honestly, The happiest day of my life!!! I love you babe!

12. Get this: I was dating a guy for a couple of years and found out he had been simultaneously dating someone else in Canada (where he lives). The other girl and I became good friends and we went on vacation together about a year later and stayed at her friends house. Her friend (a dude) and I ended up hitting it off. It pissed her off and she tried everything in her power to break us up. Now neither him or I are friends with her. Cut to 7 months later, I have moved to Canada to be with him. Ahhh, love.

13. Melissa says:

I ALWAYS do that boyfriend thing! In college I had “boyfriends” in health/wellness and speech. I’ve had “boyfriends” at work and at the gym. My most recent boyfriend is the manager at my bank. I swear I didn’t go inside the bank for the first seven years I had an account there. Then one day I had to go in, met the manager, and now seem to always find a reason to “have” to go inside the bank and spend time with him. Don’t tell my real life boyfriend, though.

14. Pingback: Friday Faves | Ready Set Feast!

15. ladyanna13 says:

Lol, what a great story! It sure gave me a laugh! You guys are a hoot!

I met my boyfriend of almost 5 years by searching for “mohawks” on the great myspace.com….lol. He had a mohawk from about 8th grade to softmore year in college. He graduated valedictorian from his highschool and there is a picture of him with his mohawk up as valedictorian in the school…what an awesome role model! =) So glad I found him! (We all need to do a little stalking in our lives. 😉 )

16. Olive says:

I love your story and the way you tell it…your a hoot…and I love that you always make me laugh,
    I also love all the other stories. How fun to read them all… I’m to dam old to remember and it isn’t anything that great anyway…keep up the great posts…